My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington DC

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Thinking Outside the Classical Music Box

 At age 66, I fret that I don't see more young persons at classical music concerts. The art form will wither and die without their support.
Classical music has been an important part of my life since my university days. At home during my younger years, my parents played musicals and Gilbert and Sullivan operettas on our prized stereo. a cabinet with a turntable and two speakers that was easily five-feet long. I transitioned to classical myself and I am not sure how. I believe it was by listening to a classical station on the radio.
The younger generation has iPhones and no appetite for classical music. They like concerts that are spectacles.  I was listening to Gershwin's "An American in Paris" a few days ago and thought his would be a good piece for a spectacle in the concert hall that would appeal to youth.  Imagine my imaginary concert hall:
The orchestra is divided like a pair of speakers- half stage front, half stage rear. The concert floor has no seats, but its a Hollywood-style set  with two faux-Parisian Streets. The audience is free to roam about the street, where ballet dancers perform, where there are video's streaming in some of the faux store fronts The music, of course, transports us to Paris.  The set, the videos, the dancers, help to intensify the experience.  
  I think we older folks might enjoy the experience as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home