My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington DC

Monday, May 09, 2005

Banville is Ireland's national treasure

I am an avid reader. I read several books simultaneously and finish at least one-per-week. I have the pleasure of an hour-long train ride each way to work, and the time that sails when I have the right book on hand. Seldom does time pass more quickly than when I am reading a work by John Banville, the finest literary talent of our age.
Banville is one of those beautiful, witty writers who can pen at least one memorable line on every page. His narrators are repulsive and yet very attractive characters. Banville's wit is penetrating and subversively funny. Every line is carefully crafted, as if he were writing poetry and chose to disguise it as prose.
"The Untouchable," a tale of traitor modeled after Great Britain's notorious Anthony Blunt. is Banville's finest work to date and a wonderful introduction to this superb author. I can't quote it. I have not the author's permission. But you no doubt can find a sample on the internet; or you can buy an old book used on Alibris for a risdculously low price. Priceless prose for a song! What a perverse age we've managed to beget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home